Wednesday, April 12, 2006

My Future

It's been no secret that I don't think I will be in Thailand long term. Some people have asked me what made me change my mind about Thailand. The answer is I never changed my mind. I came here because I felt called (or I felt something. Whatever you call it when you get a strong desire to return to a country and you can't get it out of your head). Part of me coming here was to determine whether I was called to Thailand long term or not. Now don't get me wrong, I really enjoy it here. It's a lot of fun actually, and it doesn't really feel like work. It's almost like a vacation except that I have stuff to do. The biggest thing that has turned me off to continuing longer is my own personality. I am not a people person like everyone else here. Nor am I a kids person. I'm a sit-at-the-computer person. Part of that is my job. Ok, I help out with interpersonal activities (such as teaching English twice a week) but it's not what I'm naturally drawn to. Overseas missionaries need to be people persons, otherwise they might as well be working in Canada. I feel like the work that I'm doing here is temporary. It will meet their current technical needs but that isn't ongoing (at least I don't think it is).

I don't think there is a need for a full time techie just for Team 2000. Ya, they always have videos to make and problems to fix, but not enough to justify a full time person. That would be overkill. If I was able to raise my own support, I could probably find enough work being a missionary techie for say, all of Asia (websites, video, computer tech support). That would be a pretty serious commitment, and it's just thoughts right now. I think my next step will be in Canada, but I really don't know what the future holds in Canada or what the future holds after that.

This is where I need God's guidance and your prayers.

No comments: