Wednesday, April 05, 2006

The Chicken Ladies

Beef is hard to find here. It's just not mainstream. The big meats here are pork, seafood and chicken. And that's fine with me cause I like pork and chicken and I can tolerate seafood.

I have become a regular customer with two chicken ladies (for the CHICKEN, not for the ladies!! Sheesh, they're in their 40's.) The first chicken lady was shown to me by Ricky. He brings all the visiting teams to her for a meal. She is set up at the beach at light pole #4 and she's there every day serving chicken and sticky rice. And now she even sells fresh beef and pork jerky (the best you'll ever have). Here chicken is barbequed chicken breast chopped into strips (bone and all). Served with a dipping hot sauce, it is really good stuff.

The second chicken lady was actually my own discovery. I went to a food market near the university in search of some form of deep fried chicken ("guy tot" for those of you who don't speak Thai). And I found this one lady with her little stand selling deep fried chicken. It looks and tastes like KFC but it is BONELESS and WAY CHEAPER. About 5 baht per piece (remember 35 baht is a dollar). And she's there every night. Man, after having her chicken, going to KFC is a step down! I think I'm addicted.

1 comment:

Zenith27 said...

Mmmmmmm. Chicken.