Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Kids Camp For A Day

Saturday I spent the day at a Thai resort. World Vision sponsors a whole bunch of kids in this province of Thailand (money to go to school and get a good education). So now school is out (for Thai kids) and World Vision put on a kids camp last weekend. The TREK team and I were in charge of all of Saturday, about 10am to 8pm. The TREK team only got back Friday night from their mid-term vacation. I've never seen so little planning for such a long period of time!

The kids were middle school age. I've never been a youth sponsor, but some people on TREK had been, so they knew the art of faking it. If you look like you know what's going on, they'll believe it. It wasn't completely unorganized. We had some stuff planned, but nothing was rehearsed, we just did it.

I found out that middle school Thai kids are pretty shy. They also don't hold hands very well. And every single one of them had a "dead fish" handshake. I guess when you've grown up in a society that avoids physical contact, that's what you get.

It was a good experience. I came out of it a little wiser. And a little more certain that I was not destined to be a youth pastor.

No comments: