Sunday, February 26, 2006

Ice Cream On A Bun

Well I got daring enough to try it. Yes, ice cream on a bun. More specifically, here is how the order went: I tell the street vendor one ice cream on a bun (by pointing), she starts with a bun and puts two scoops of sticky rice on the bun. I tell her mai ow (don't want--I couldn't imagine adding sticky rice to the mixture), so she removes the sticky rice. Then she adds 5 small scoops of "ice cream" onto the bun, and tops it with what appears to be corn. This concoction was only 10 baht, thankfully. Although it was cheap, I think it was a waste of money. The ice cream didn't taste like ice cream, it was more like bun flavour (I guess to compliment the bun it was sitting on). The corn didn't help any and the sticky rice definitely would have been too much. Anyway, I didn't finish it. I couldn't.

This may beg the question, "why put corn on your ice cream?" Well over here, corn is actually considered a dessert. It is put on and in things, as one would do with fruit. I once bought yoghert and the label showed various fruits and corn. I thought, "they couldn't have put regular corn in the yoghert!" Well they did, and it tasted as much--not something I enjoyed. But apparently the Thais like it this way. I've seen one booth at a food court where all they sold was cups of hot corn kernels.

There may be other questions such as "Why put ice cream on a bun?", "Why put rice with your ice cream?" One of the missionaries told me his motto: "Why ask why?". It's not bad or immoral, it's just different. THEY probably don't know why they do it, they just do. They would probably ask you, "Why DON'T you put ice cream on a bun?"

1 comment:

Hillary said...

I guess as long as the bun isn't your friend PLE, then it's ok!

I like the "what the heck?" look on your face!