Wednesday, February 22, 2006

A Bit About Northern Northern Thailand

While I was in Chiang Mai, a team of pastors and businessmen were visiting from North America, touring all that is going on with MBMSI in Thailand. They also came up to Northern Thailand, and I was able to go with Russell to meet them. They flew (we drove) to Chiang Rai, which is 3 hours North of Chiang Mai. From there we drove to Chiang Khong. That is almost as far North as you can go in Thailand. It was really cool because the guest house we stayed at was right on the Mae Khong River, and right across the river was Laos.

We visited several Khmu villages and met with several Khmu pastors. Russell Schmidt's connection with the villages is that he disciples and encourages the Khmu pastors. The Khmu villages are tribal villages, very rural and very poor. But people are really turning to the Lord! It was cool to hear how several people on several different occasions, prayed and received healing. After they were healed, they turned to Jesus. Traditionally their religion was spirit and ancesstor worship. But they have seen the power of Jesus, and those who have turned from it say they are never turning back.

We also toured the "Golden Triangle". This is the border area (not strictly defined) of Laos, Thailand and Myanmar (Burma). It is more of a tourist trap than anything. We went on a boat ride up and down the Mae Khong River. Then we stopped on an island that is actually part of Laos. The whole island is full of Laocian tourist shops, selling tourist junk. But on the plus side, I can say I've been to Laos. And actually I think I've been to Burma too, although only borderwise, because I never really was on Burmese soil.

After being in Northern Thailand (and Northern Northern Thailand) and seeing all the work that Russell Schmidt is involved in, I must say that he sure has a lot of "irons in the fire". The unfortunate part about his work is that it is so spread out, and there is a considerable amount of time taken up just travelling to the various villages, and even around Chiang Mai. But I am glad to have seen it and I'm glad I was able to serve in a few small ways. God is blessing the Schmidt's ministry in Northern Thailand and I pray that the love of Jesus spreads like wildfire through those villages.

For a more visual tour, please check out my pictures.

No comments: