Monday, February 06, 2006

Random Stuff

Saw a dog get run over and die. I don't want to witness that again.
Fortunatelly(?) it was the owner that ran over his own dog, so there is no tension between any neighbors. His kids were crying and all, but I learned that later on that day they got a new puppy, so the mourning period was extremely short lived.
-----
I can't understand how the Thais are able to talk on a cell phone in such noisy places. I've seen many a Thai, carry on what I can only assume is a coherent conversation, on a cell phone, standing right beside--or in--the middle of a busy street. The vehicles around here aren't quiet either. It would be like talking on a cell phone while standing beside a vaccuum cleaner. When my cell rings and I'm on the sidewalk, I have to cover the other ear, and even then the conversation is difficult. So I've come to the conclusion that all Thais are born deaf in one ear :-) (no offense intended, I actually marvel at their ability to block out huge volumes of noise).
-----
Sidewalks often don't live up to their name around here. The side "walk" is often the side "obsticle course", filled with uneven surfaces, poles, signs that are too low--even for a Thai person, wires, cars, motorcycles--both stationary and moving, plants, tables and chairs, street vendors, bags of garbage, store displays, dogs, cats, and oncoming pedestrians. Most of the time there is a path through the maze, but it's usually only wide enough for one person to pass through. Half the time I give up and just walk on the road.

No comments: