Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Being Sick

I guess it's all part of life, but I was sick. And that drastically decreased my motivation to blog, or do anything. It ended up being some sort of throat infection, which is why the caugh syrup and other pills didn't do anything. I got some antibiotics and that started to clear things up pretty quick. So I got to learn how medicine works in Thailand. It's funny how there are no "prescription drugs". Everything is available. In fact if you tell the pharmacist your symptoms, they will diagnose you and give you the drugs to fix it. The antibiotics I needed were sitting in a box on top of a bunch of other drugs, in one of the aisles. Nothing is really "behind the counter". The other thing that's different is the price. It's cheap. Maybe because it's not the real thing, but as long as it works I guess I don't care. 7 days worth of antibiotics cost 100 baht ($3.00 CAD). At least it's not expensive to get well.

Oh, yes they do have doctors. But if I would have gone to one, I would have paid in the order of 2000 Baht, so I was just as happy to not visit a doctor.

No comments: