Friday, January 13, 2006

Meeting Christians

It seems highly unlikely that this sort of thing would happen normally...

On my long flight from Seattle to Taipai, I was seated beside an elderly Taiwanese lady. We got to talking (which was good, I wanted to be on good terms with whoever I was sitting beside). She told me she was a Mandarin language teacher and had retired and moved to Seattle (where her son lives). She was going over to visit her three daughters in Taiwan. I told her what I was doing and she asked "Are you a Christian?" and I said yes. She told me she is a Christian too (goes to a baptist church in Seattle). And her daughter-in-law works at the church in Seattle. And her son is a pastor in Taiwan! And I thought, what are the chances that two Christians would be seated side-by-side on a 14 hour flight to Taiwan?

There were also two girls on my flight who caught my eye. After two transfers they were still around, and one of them also had a Canadian flag on their backpack, so I thought I would go over and talk to them. They are going to travel several months through Thailand and South East Asia for several months. Turns out they are from Winfield (near Kelowna) and attend the Alliance church there. One of them was even on a Mexico missions trip with YMI! What are the chances that the only 3 people that I talked to, on the whole trip over here, would be Christians?

No comments: