Sunday, January 15, 2006

Kids

Saturday was national kids day. Now there is something we missed out on in North America! I went along with the TREK team to a big mall in Siricha (next city over) where they had a whole floor of things to do for the kids. The International Christian Children's Nursury had a booth set up (run by someone who attends TLC). We were there to help with the booth . Actually we were put in charge of games (1 game per person). I was a bit unsure about this, because I don't work with kids EVER. But when I came to Thailand, I made myself available for anything. So anyway, I was in charge of a pretty simple game: The kids (one at a time) had to put the coloured cardboard shapes into the cardboard placeholders (the best I can describe it). Once the kids finished all the games and they would get a prize.

I have obviously lost touch with my childhood. Before we started I looked at the games and thought to myself "these kids are going to be bored, who wants to do such simple things?" But the kids did the games and enjoyed themselves. We had a huge crowd of parents and kids, and they just kept coming. What I realized is I was looking at these games and thinking if I would want to play them. Of course not, but I'm not a child. When they're that age (3-6 I think), they don't pre-judge the game, they just play it, and enjoy themselves. I still have a lot to learn in this respect.

No comments: