Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Chiang Mai Mai Mai

I arrived in Chiang Mai, ready for anything, which is good I guess because Russell Schmidt was open to anything. Russell and Elizabeth Schmidt are urban/remote missionaries in Chiang Mai (northern Thailand). They live in Chiang Mai, and Liz teaches at the Christian International school, but Russell's real ministry is with the Khumu tribal people, about 6 hours north.

They live what could be a modest American lifestyle, in Thailand. Like a lot of people, they live in a "mubaan" -- a huge subdivision of houses that has only one entrance which is guarded. The mubaan that they live in is right beside the International school. And since it is a Christian school, most of their neighbours are Christian and work at the school. Liz works there and their 3 kids also go to the school so it is convenient for the family to live here. Their neighbours are from all over the world, not many Thais (and these neighbours also have wireless internet so I can send you stories of my adventures).

For now I am staying with the Schmidts, although they are looking for affordable housing for me. Ironically, I haven't eaten a Thai meal since I arrived in Chiang Mai. Because of all the tourism, it is very easy to find Non-Thai food.

The Thai/English/Computer training center is not set up because funds have not arrived so he hasn't been able to rent a place. But they will be renting a place in February, then I can help with renovations and setup. In the mean time, he has signed me up for Thai lessons, 2 hours a day for 5 days a week. That is intense! I had my first lesson already and wow, there's no slacking when you are the only student!

In about 3 weeks a group of pastors and businessmen will be visiting Thailand, including Russell's Khumu ministry. At that time, him and I will head up and then I will get to see where he works when he's not at home.

Now that I have come up here and actually talked with Russell and found out exactly what he does up here, I have a better handle on what he needs in terms of missionaries... not me. Russell would really like to have a team of missionaries go and live and work amoung the Khumu people. He was ready to send me up there! I declined because I would be on my own, and nobody speaks English up there, and I didn't feel that ministry was for me. I see myself in more of a support role (fixing stuff and making it better), rather than a leadership role. For that kind of thing they need a guy like Reg.

So that's an overview of the Chiang Mai, the Schmidts and what I'm doing.

No comments: