Thursday, August 16, 2007

Reg

A tribute entry to my good friend Reg (don't worry, he's not dead).

Reg has been good friend and buddy since Myron went to Bible school back in 1995. We all went to the same high school, but I only knew Reg through Myron up to that point, but with Myron gone, I decided to make an effort to get to know this guy. A move I have never regretted. Reg has been a close friend, a confidant, and a guy I can do stuff with. Reg and I both like an adventure. We both like hiking and camping. We both like to do stuff spontaneously and it has been SO nice to always have someone to be able to get together with, either to go mountain biking or to just to kick back and talk about life, love and the pursuit of happiness. We have been able to challenge each other in our Christian walks.

Indeed our personalities are as different as night and day. Our interests only intersect in a few key areas. No doubt there have been difficult times of conflict (road trips :-P ), but fortunately the conflicts are short lived and we are able to move on and keep our friendship going. The fights are forgotten and the memories of good times live on. I have learned a lot from Reg. The things he values are VERY different than the things I value. He sees the world from a completely different point of view. I struggle to understand that point of view and struggle even harder to accept it. But it has taught me patience and endurance as we keep our friendship going despite our differences.

As I write, Reg is in Thailand. He is now a full time missionary, currently studying the Thai language. He is a gifted people person, and missionary work fits him like a glove. This is one place that I can't join him. He was called to Thailand, I was called to... well...Abbotsford I guess. His people skills and leadership skills have impressed me. It's one thing that he does naturally that I struggle to do. For crying out loud, he can be program director for an entire camp with one hand tied behind his back. I wouldn't even know where to start. It is those skills that God is going to utilize, to win souls to Christ in Thailand.

I miss ya man.

1 comment:

Bill & Louise said...

Jon,
I love your tribute to Reg! You did a great job expressing your differences and likes, etc.