Thursday, March 30, 2006

Close to Jackfruit

I have really gotten a taste for Jackfruit. It's a fruit that's really hard to describe, so I'm not going to try. And I'm really going to miss it if I can't find it in Canada (and I don't think I will find it). Mind you, they import durian, and jackfruit is about the same size and not nearly as horrible.

If I haven't said it in my blog yet, I must say it now: I love the location of The Life Center Church (which is where I work)! It is close to everything you could need: good cheap Thai restaurants, photocopy place, hardware stores, coffee shop, computer store, night market (right in front of the church), corner store that is virtually always open, 7-11, 2 food night markets that serve food until late, pharmacy and a shopping mall -AND- The Jackfruit Lady.

The Jackfruit Lady is about a 1 minute walk from the front door of the church. She is there just about every morning, cutting a jackfruit to sell the pieces. 20 Baht (65 cents) will get enough jackfruit for breakfast and a snack later on. She makes me think about how society works (well Thai society anyway). Everyone finds a job to do and does it. The jackfruit lady cuts and sells jackfruit at one little location in one suburb of a big city. It's not a particularly busy place, during her hours (which is about 10:00am-noon) but the population is dense enough to sustain her. Well anyway, I'm really glad that at least for a couple months in my life I am able to walk a very short distance to buy as much jackfruit as I want.

No comments: