Sunday, September 10, 2006

NYC Part 4 - The Sights

Times Square - Wow, that place is insane. And the PEOPLE. If you have ever seen on TV or in the movies the hoards of people on the sidewalks and thought "is it really that crowded?" For Times Square the answer is YES, even late at night. It is home to so many things including: Hard Rock Cafe and The flashiest McDonalds I've ever seen. Also...
My Dad caught me on the Earthcam - Check it out at http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare
ABC Studios
Lots of street performers - These guys were really good.
and Naked Cowboy
Brooklyn Bridge - As seen from the Staten Island Ferry.
Central Park - SO BIG. The picture above is taken from the top of a castle in the park. Behind me is The Great Lawn, which holds 6 baseball diamonds. It is a blip in the map of central park.
Carnegie Hall - "Saw" it, but couldn't go in.
The Plaza - Reg tells me it appears in "Home Alone".
Inside CNN/Time Warner Building - Time Warner building is enormous and impressive. The tour was actually more lame than I expected it would be.
Radio City - We were there the day they were doing the MTV Video Music Awards, so there were a bunch of celebrities showing up. I think they were famous, I mean a whole crowd of screaming black girls can't be wrong.
Rockefeller Center - Just a bunch of buildings. Whatever.
Macy's - The largest department store in the world. It is a full New York City block, and 9 floors! Also the location for the film "Miracle on 34th Street".
The New York Public Library - Crazy! So elaborate I didn't see a single book until I got to the 3rd floor! It was more like a museum than a library. But it is a public library so at least it was free.
The Statue of Liberty/Staten Island Ferry - Also free (amazingly). It travels right past the Statue of Liberty. That's as close as I got (Reg visited Lady Liberty personally).
Ground Zero - That's a huge area right in the heart of the business district. It's amazing some of the surrounding buildings are still there. One skyscraper that was right beside the World Trade Center property was damaged and so they are currently deconstructing it, floor by floor.
The New York Stock Exchange - Lots of suits running around the outside of that place. Security is so tight around there that since 9/11 they have blocked off all the roads in that area.
The Cathedrals - My goodness it's like stepping into Europe. There are several big cathedrals downtown.
Madison Square Garden - We saw it, it's still there.
The United Nations Headquarters - That's a big place. I guess there's lots to do in order to keep so many countries united.
Empire State Building - Expensive but a good view of New York (for the record, the 86th floor is the main observation deck, and is really good. Don't bother paying the extra 14 bucks to go to the 102nd floor, it's not worth it)
Grand Central Terminal - Saw it. I can say I was there. That's about it.
New York Subways - Convenient, fast, frequent and functional. But wow, those terminals are hot.
Steaming Manholes - Apparently the city has central heating so many downtown buildings are heated by steam, carried through pipes underground. Some pipes have leaks, and thus the steaming manholes.

Whew, those were the main things. It was definitely an experience I will never forget. I highly recommend it.

No comments: