Thursday, March 03, 2005

Working Hard / Hardly Working

Wow does it ever get hot! I actually get exhausted just standing around in the sun, and working is even more taxing on the body. It's a real change from sitting at a computer, one that I'm not used to. Yesterday we were hauling sand from the sand pile at the front of the lot to the house in the back of the lot (about 100 feet). We used a cart/wheelbarrow and boy was the sun ever hot. I don't think I've ever drank that much water without having to go to the bathroom. Today was not so busy for me. I think I was a third wheel to what we were doing, but to be honest I was tired just from surviving the heat that I didn't mind not working hard. I just learned our resort has a website http://www.kohkhokhao-resort.com/index.html. I haven't had time to check it out yet, (internet is expensive and I only have 15 minutes till supper.

There is so much to mention and not a lot of time (on the internet anyway). I was wondering why the other teams only put in a 5-6 hour day including an hour lunch. Now I know. That's about all we can handle. Us farongs (foreigners) are not used to the heat. We are back to the resort by about 3:30 or 4:00 and then we can relax till 6:00 when we have dinner. I usually alternate between swimming in the ocean and swimming in the pool. I'm not sure which one is warmer, I think the ocean is. The sun sets at 6:30 sharp and it's dark by 7:00 and then the mosquitoes come out. I was concerned about Malaria before I came, but really there's no concern about malaria over here. And for what few mosquitoes there are, I would feel ripped off if I had to take pills for them. A couple of squirts of bug spray and I'm good to go. No daytime mosquitoes to speak of.

Ok, I gotta run, I still have email to check before I gotta get out of here. For those who have been in Thailand you know that the going rate for internet is 15baht/hr ($0.50 CDN). Over here it's 80baht/hr ($2.70 CDN). I'll try to keep you posted (I only found out where the internet stuff was this afternoon). Pictures might be a bit more difficult since they are very time consuming.

Jon

No comments: