Thursday, March 10, 2005

Almost Done

I've been trying to get computer time for the last 4 days but I've been so busy that I haven't been able to get to the computers before 9pm (which is when they close).

On Sunday we had a day off. Some people went snorkeling, I decided not to go (me and snorkel masks haven't gotten along in the past). So I'll tell you about my day. Those who didn't go snorkeling went to Phuket Island (which is pretty big!). We didn't go to Phuket town, but we went to one of about 20 beaches which has its own little tourist town (not sure of the name). It was also hit by the tsunami but they are rebuilding fast. They had a starbucks and a mcdonalds but the McDonalds was still being rebuilt (we were so dissappointed), so we ate at starbucks. Going in there was like walking into North America, it was exactly the same style and layout. And almost the same prices too! (Starbucks coffee is expensive no matter where you go). Anyway, we wandered around the town, picking up various souveniers which were really overpriced! Fortunatelly we knew how to work them down quite a bit.

Overall I really didn't like the town. It had a totally different feel than the rest of Thailand. It seemed very much like they were catering to the rich white males, of which there were many. Every other guy had a Thai "girlfriend". The streets had a lot of shops but also a lot of bars, with Thai girls that would take your arm and try to pull you into their bar. Obviously there is a lot of money in that kind of thing but I really think it gives white males a bad reputation if that's how they see us. The whole town had a sex feel to it, even pictures of topless women were around if you looked the wrong way or picked up the wrong postcard. It made me appreciate the fact that we weren't staying in that kind of place!

The rest of the week has been going well. No major injuries or sicknesses to speak of. Everyone is working hard. With a group this size, that's probably because of a lot of prayer. So thanks again for your prayers.

It was a chilly 22 degrees when I woke up this morning. Some people said it was finally "barable" but I actually didn't like it. But it warmed up pretty quick and it averages about 35 during the day (my thermometer gets up to 54 when I leave it in the sun). Tomorow is our last work day, then we are off to Bankok for a day or two. If anyone is wanting Thailand souveniers, I am taking orders now (apparently we will have shopping time but no guarantee that I will be able to check my email). Don't leave me a comment, rather, email me jonknoll@hotmail.com

Jon

No comments: